Healthy Sleep Habits
This week Sunshine State Counseling Center is focusing on giving tips for the entire family on sleeping habits. Routines are what most of us follow which then allows us to do well and know what to expect in the day to day. We know getting home and putting the little ones to bed is not always easy, even us as parents have difficulty getting to bed due to workload or chores around the house. We know having a set schedule is difficult but attempting to implement some of the following tips can help the entire family with their overall mood.
Here are a few tips on how you can prepare your family for a better and more restful sleep pattern:
- Keep your room at a cool temperature
- Limit exposure to light; turn off electronics 1 hour prior to going to bed
- Make a consistent schedule: Get up at the same time everyday AND go to bed at the same time (This will be a work in progress).
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Avoid eating large meals before bedtime; your digestive system will bother you making you unable to sleep.
- Reduce fluid intake before bed or make sure to use the restroom before laying down.
- Try to establish at least one hour of exercise or play time outdoors to create some fatigue to be better suited to go to bed.
These habits are a cornerstone of cognitive behavioral therapy, the most effective long-term treatment for people with chronic insomnia. If sleeping sleep problems persist, reach out to your doctor.