What’s What Wednesday – Couples Therapy
At Sunshine State Counseling Center, we use two different treatment modalities for couple’s therapy: Emotionally Focused Therapy and The Gottman Method.
Emotionally Focused Therapy is an intervention that looks to improve the couple’s relationship by addressing concerns in the intimate relationships of adults. This approach allows both parties to develop a better understanding of their own emotional responses and their partner’s emotional responses. There are three outlined stages when using emotionally focused therapy:
- Stage One: Cycle De-escalation. In this stage, the couple will identify concerns and negative patterns in the couple’s relationship.
- Stage Two: Changing Interaction Patterns. The couple will express their emotions and allow the individuals to express compassion and understanding of their partner’s needs.
- Step Three: Consolidation and integration. During this stage, the therapist coaches the couple with the use of a new communication style to talk about previous problems and develop new solutions
The Gottman method takes on an assessment of the relationship approach. The Gottman Method is designed to strengthen the couple’s relationship in three areas: friendship, conflict management, and creation of shared meaning. The Gottman Method uses nine components to a healthy relationship:
- Build Road Maps (knowing the other person’s world)
- Share fondness and admiration
- Turn towards instead of away
- The positive perspective
- Manage conflict (Accept partners influence, dialogue about problems, practice self-soothing)
- Make life dreams come true
- Create shared meaning
If you and your partner are looking for support, to assist with communication, pre-marital counseling, or co-parenting techniques, please us a call at (239)495-7722.