What’s What Wednesday: Sleep Hygiene
Sunshine State Counseling Center has decided to dedicate the month of April to sleep hygiene. Sleep hygiene is a variety of different practices that are necessary to have normal, quality nighttime sleep and full daytime alertness. Sleep plays an important role in your physical, mental, and developmental health. According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood institute, ongoing sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke. In order to kick off this month of sleep, we are listing five important reasons to get more sleep.
Reasons to Get More Sleep
- Better health! Studies have found a link between insufficient sleep and serious health problems, such as, heart disease, heart attacks, diabetes, and obesity.
- Pain Management! Studies have shown a link between sleep loss and lower pain threshold.
- Lower risk of injury! Sleep deprivation has been linked with many notorious disasters. The Institute of Medicine estimates that one out of five auto accidents in the U.S. results from drowsy driving—that’s about 1 million crashes a year.
- Better mood! Getting enough sleep can help you feel less cranky and improve your emotional regulation.
- Clearer thinking! Studies have found that people who are sleep-deprived are substantially worse at solving logic or math problems than when they are well-rested.
If you are experiencing sleep difficulties, please call (239) 495-7722 for a free phone consultation with one of our therapists.