What’s What Wednesday – Stress Awareness Month
This week Sunshine State Counseling Center is discussing Stress Awareness Month. Stress Awareness Month promotes the awareness of stress in our everyday lives but also in a work place setting. This includes highlighting the causes of stress, the negative effects stress can have on the mind and body, and how to relieve stress. Most people experience stress at some point in their lives, but constant or extreme stress is bad for both the mind and body. When you have constant stress in your life the symptoms can be mental and physical. Stress can be caused by a sudden traumatic event or even just the expectations of daily life.
Some of the negative side effects stress can have on us are:
- Chest Pain
- Irritability or anger
- Overeating or undereating
- Social withdrawal
- Stomach issues
We have accumulated four ways to reduce stress:
- Try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, yoga, or meditation.
- Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating a healthy diet, exercise regularly and get enough sleep.
- Do things for yourself: Take a warm bath, read your favorite book, or watch your favorite movie.
- Write it out: While writing down what you are stressed about is one approach, another is writing down what you are grateful for. Gratitude may help relieve stress and anxiety by focusing your thoughts on what’s positive in your life.
Stress will never completely go away. There will always be stressful situation on our lives but we can learn how to manage the stress we feel and be proactive with the stress we feel. At Sunshine State Counseling Center, we can help you work to cope with the stress you feel. If you or someone you know needs help managing their stress give us a call at (239)495-7722